Trying to clarify some information that I heard from my tax preparer, does anyone know that as of 2012 any forgiven debit (that lender writes off as a result of a short sale) will be required to be counted as income for the homeowner?

Views: 149

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The law is in effect until the end of 2012. The limits are up to $2,000,000 for married couples filing jointly, or $1,000,000 if filing separately. The Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 extended the time period through December 2012.  

Thanks Erik.  Yes, your comment helps a great deal.  I'm trying to get thru the Economic Stabilization Act that Wendy sent over and it made me only more confused.  From what I could gather this Act effects homeowners who purchased prior to March of 2008.  Anyone who understands this please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Mortgage amount cannot exceed the purchase price plus repairs/upgrades to the house. If they took out a 2nd to improve house that's good also but to go on vacation that would not be exempt.

Good morning this may help you a little more http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=179414,00.html

i just closed one,but my understanding is that there will be no deficiency to follow the short sale seller.  i read this somewhere

but,i am not sure about the income part of this . i need also to find this out also.

leighton jackson

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by Brett Goldsmith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

********************************** like buttons ************************