I have a short sale with Wells Fargo.  First and second - both are with WF.  We submitted a "traditional" short sale package about a month ago.  My clients asked me on Wednesday (April 7th) about HAFA - would they qualify and be guaranteed no deficiency?  Well, I called up WF and asked them. 

I was told that I would need the homeowner to call in and request to be put through HAFA, at which point, my current short sale file would be canceled out.  Then, they would first be qualified for a loan modification through HAMP. My clients have attempted a loan mod for 15 months prior to listing it for a short sale - via this program and that program, however the bank can't tell us if one of the programs they were previously disqualified for was HAMP.  So, they'd need to try again.

The timelines for HAMP were up in the air.  WF told me it could be up to 90 days just to see if they qualify for HAMP.  If they don't, or if they do but don't accept the loan mod, then they will be put through the HAFA program.  If they don't qualify for that, they will be put back into the regular short sale program that we're in now....just with a whole lotta lost time.

Then she said that she wasn't sure if their investor was participating in HAFA.  "Oh really?  You don't have something on your screen that tells you if this investor participates?" 

Her response:  "No ma'am.  The only way to tell if the investor participates in HAFA is to apply for it.  You'd need to cancel your current short sale and then resubmit.  Then we can tell you if the investor is participating or not."

AGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Welcome to HAFA :)

Views: 1216

Replies to This Discussion

According to the HAFA Program Directive, Seller's do not need to first attempt a Loan Modifcation throughr HAMP if they have been relocated, or if they've lost their jobs and are relocating to find a new job. Sellers can move straight to HAFA and a short sale if they meet these qualifications.

Jason Opland
Obvious Choice Realty || The Opland Group
614.408.8078 o
[email protected]

Dave Dayton said:
Steele...

You are the first person or place I have heard this from- thanks.... I have a client who I think might qualify for HAFA because his payment exceeds 31% of income. However, everything I have read says he will need to qualify for HAMP first. Can you tell me how you started? I mean did you go to the lender before listing the property? Did you just have your client call and ask 'how do i participate in HAFA?" any help greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Steele V. Propp said:
Actually your WF person was wrong on HAFA qualifications. One does not have to go through HAMP. A seller can request a short sale right off the bat. Review the HAFA guidelines and you will see this in addition to the other items.

Personally if you have a short sale in process it makes no sense to switch to HAFA (IMHO). Between investor and seconday lien fallout it would probably not come together anyway.
I agree with you on the forth missing item as I read that too. I also agree with others that it ultimately is up to how the servicer interprets the regulations. If a servicer requires your clients to run through HAMP first, most servicers allow your client to give their financials over the phone. If your client turns in their numbers as being even a little in the negative per month, they will be denied for HAMP and you can move to the next step of a short sale. I hope this helps. By the way, even BOA is taking numbers over the phone now.

Steele V. Propp said:
What is missing from the NAR quote is the fourth item for consideration:

"Requests a short sale or DIL."

This is from page 4 of the rivised directive HAFA dated 3/26/2010.

Laurel Starks said:
According to our in-house attorney and from what we've read from NAR, it appears that the borrower must be considered for HAMP prior to being considered for HAFA. If a borrower requests HAFA off the bat, the servicer must first run them through HAMP - even if the borrower doesn't want to keep the house. They must offer them the modification if they qualify for it. NAR's publications states as follows:

Servicers must consider HAMP-eligible borrowers for HAFA within 30 days after the borrower does at least one of the following:
o Does not qualify for a HAMP trial period plan.
o Does not successfully complete a HAMP trial period plan.
o Is delinquent on a HAMP modification (misses at least 2 consecutive payments).

I do agree that there is a lot of confusion on HAFA - and in my office, we have all come to the conclusion that we can interpret the guidelines all we want to, but ultimately the servicers are going to have their own interpretation and implement accordingly. In sum, it is going to be a trial and error kind of thing, as is just about everything in real estate.

And I do agree - the investor and the second would likely ruin my sellers' chances anyway. Fortunately, my seller thinks so too and we are carrying on with our "traditional" short sale.
Correct me if I am wrong, but HAFA only covers the first loan. Any HELOC or non-purchase second will not be free from deficiency judgment.

Tina Maldonado said:
I agree with you on the forth missing item as I read that too. I also agree with others that it ultimately is up to how the servicer interprets the regulations. If a servicer requires your clients to run through HAMP first, most servicers allow your client to give their financials over the phone. If your client turns in their numbers as being even a little in the negative per month, they will be denied for HAMP and you can move to the next step of a short sale. I hope this helps. By the way, even BOA is taking numbers over the phone now.

Steele V. Propp said:
What is missing from the NAR quote is the fourth item for consideration:

"Requests a short sale or DIL."

This is from page 4 of the rivised directive HAFA dated 3/26/2010.

Laurel Starks said:
According to our in-house attorney and from what we've read from NAR, it appears that the borrower must be considered for HAMP prior to being considered for HAFA. If a borrower requests HAFA off the bat, the servicer must first run them through HAMP - even if the borrower doesn't want to keep the house. They must offer them the modification if they qualify for it. NAR's publications states as follows:

Servicers must consider HAMP-eligible borrowers for HAFA within 30 days after the borrower does at least one of the following:
o Does not qualify for a HAMP trial period plan.
o Does not successfully complete a HAMP trial period plan.
o Is delinquent on a HAMP modification (misses at least 2 consecutive payments).

I do agree that there is a lot of confusion on HAFA - and in my office, we have all come to the conclusion that we can interpret the guidelines all we want to, but ultimately the servicers are going to have their own interpretation and implement accordingly. In sum, it is going to be a trial and error kind of thing, as is just about everything in real estate.

And I do agree - the investor and the second would likely ruin my sellers' chances anyway. Fortunately, my seller thinks so too and we are carrying on with our "traditional" short sale.
Just wanted to note as others mentioned, if the seller (borrower) already has a buyer for a shortsale, they should submit an Alternative RASS. I have a case where the borrower is trying this, but I think the lender (Well's Fargo) is trying to go through the process of approving an SSA (Short Sale Agreement), but this would seem to be wasting valuable time since there is already a fully executed sales contract and an Alternative RASS would allow for immediate submission of the offer and if approved the short sale would still get the benefits of HAFA.

But how do you get this Alternative Request for Approval of Short Sale (Alternative RASS)?

Also, I may be wrong, but it seems going the Alternative RASS way elminates the Deed in Lieu clause of the SSA (Where the borrower has to give up the home if the timeline isn't met and the short sale is not successful)

Quote from SSA: "By signing this letter, you are agreeing not only to a short sale but also to a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure if a short sale is not successful."

Quote from Alternative RASS: "In the event this transaction is unsuccessful, the Servicer may exercise all remedies under the mortgage, including foreclosure."

I have started a discussion in the HAFA group "Things to Note About HAFA"
Ok, Riddle Me This......If HAMP borrowers MUST have loans that are backed by Fannie or Freddie, and HAFA loans CAN NOT be Fannie or Freddie, how can one work hand in hand with the other???
First things first. This is why it is so important to make sure the homeowner is aware of the loan modification and how HAMP works. I try it a different way. I work with FREE Housing Counseling to get them submitted to the lender requesting HAMP and then I work with them on the other side of that if they are denied, fail or turn down the loan modification offered by their lender. That way they are ready set go to do the short sale.

Doing the short sale first and then having them mood walk back to the loan modification is putting the cart before the horse.
Fannie & Freddie have not come out with their version of HAFA yet --- to my knowledge. Now I am off to their site to see if they finally came up with the HAFA-like guidelines.

Jessica Sulliman said:
Ok, Riddle Me This......If HAMP borrowers MUST have loans that are backed by Fannie or Freddie, and HAFA loans CAN NOT be Fannie or Freddie, how can one work hand in hand with the other???
THis is a great point. One point too is that they say you can ask for an extension if you cannot do the short sale within the 120 days alotted time. I'd try that as well.

Seems to be that they would deny the short sale... and just wait for them to have to do the deed in lieu and save on the foreclosure expense. Sneek attack.

Thomas F said:
Just wanted to note as others mentioned, if the seller (borrower) already has a buyer for a shortsale, they should submit an Alternative RASS. I have a case where the borrower is trying this, but I think the lender (Well's Fargo) is trying to go through the process of approving an SSA (Short Sale Agreement), but this would seem to be wasting valuable time since there is already a fully executed sales contract and an Alternative RASS would allow for immediate submission of the offer and if approved the short sale would still get the benefits of HAFA.

But how do you get this Alternative Request for Approval of Short Sale (Alternative RASS)?

Also, I may be wrong, but it seems going the Alternative RASS way elminates the Deed in Lieu clause of the SSA (Where the borrower has to give up the home if the timeline isn't met and the short sale is not successful)

Quote from SSA: "By signing this letter, you are agreeing not only to a short sale but also to a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure if a short sale is not successful."

Quote from Alternative RASS: "In the event this transaction is unsuccessful, the Servicer may exercise all remedies under the mortgage, including foreclosure."

I have started a discussion in the HAFA group "Things to Note About HAFA"
Jason this is true or at least that is what the guidelines state.
I believe that HAMP >>>> HAFA or DIL have most of the issues covered - as they say its in there in those Directives. It is just taking everyone a while to catch on to the process.

Jason Opland said:
According to the HAFA Program Directive, Seller's do not need to first attempt a Loan Modifcation throughr HAMP if they have been relocated, or if they've lost their jobs and are relocating to find a new job. Sellers can move straight to HAFA and a short sale if they meet these qualifications.

Jason Opland
Obvious Choice Realty || The Opland Group
614.408.8078 o
[email protected]

Dave Dayton said:
Steele...

You are the first person or place I have heard this from- thanks.... I have a client who I think might qualify for HAFA because his payment exceeds 31% of income. However, everything I have read says he will need to qualify for HAMP first. Can you tell me how you started? I mean did you go to the lender before listing the property? Did you just have your client call and ask 'how do i participate in HAFA?" any help greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Steele V. Propp said:
Actually your WF person was wrong on HAFA qualifications. One does not have to go through HAMP. A seller can request a short sale right off the bat. Review the HAFA guidelines and you will see this in addition to the other items.

Personally if you have a short sale in process it makes no sense to switch to HAFA (IMHO). Between investor and seconday lien fallout it would probably not come together anyway.
Fannie Mae Level 2 support says the Borrower must be reviewed for HAMP first even if they are seeking a Short Sale or DIL.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by Short Sale Superstars LLC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

********************************** like buttons ************************