I am just finishing on line class from Certified Distressed Property Expert. Anyone else taken this course? Has a lot of great information.

Views: 569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the clarification, Steele. Of course, NAR recognizes its own designations. My point: There is no reason why any company that has the qualification to teach a course should not recognize its own designations, as well. In the present circumstances, none of us can be without proper education concerning whatever kind of real estate we've chosen to work.

Distressed property isn't for everyone, nor can everyone reasonably make a success of it. But, with "on the street" education, such as that taught by Distressed Property Institute, we have a fighting chance of getting it right.

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but many of my fellow Realtor members that work in distressed property ask about my CDPE designation and want information on how to get it. That's a plus since these same people may take the course and hopefully that will make the whole distressed property industry better. My own brokerage, Keller Williams, is usually on the cutting edge of new technology, new information, and innovative ways to do business. Their sponsorship of the CDPE designation is no different. They believe it will make a difference in recognition for this highly specialized part of the real estate business. I agree.

Like you, I've been in this business for a long time, and during that career, I have been involved in many situations where this course would have helped me. But, since it wasn't out there, I muddled through some of my deals as best I could, with the help of my lawyer, my broker and others. Most of them had successful conclusions. The ones that didn't were heartbreakers. And I've never been sued by anyone with whom I did those transactions (or anyone for that matter). Thank you, NAR, for our strong code of ethics.

Good luck to us all!
Totally agree. Education and designations should stand on their own merits. Don't expect NAR to officially endorse any but their own, but others are being recognized by major parts of the industry. And you bring up a good point, some of the large franchises are endorsing CDPE. Not just your organization but RE/MAX as well.

As an occasional trainer/educator myself I learned a long time ago that designations are more about appealing to agents as opposed to consumers. Shoot, the average consumer has no idea what 99% of the designations stand for. Most could care less about the letters behind our name.

Now, CDPE is doing a better than average job on marketing the value of their designation. There is a pride seen in getting this training and many individual agents are stressing the value of the designation and training to the consumer. There is also a kinship between many of the agents that crosses franchise and company lines.

That's how I found out about this group. A fellow CDPE in another state recommended the site. Now I have two excellent sources of information and discussion. And believe me, I have seen my share of duds out there.

The good ones are worth their weight in gold :>)
Amen, Steele!
I thought it was an excellent course. I am using alot of the forms for my SS packages.
Just to be sure I understand. Is the main difference between CDPE Expert training and Short Sale Superstars is that one is a designation and the other is not? And if that is the case, how important is the designation in the real world?
No, that would be simplifying things to the extreme. Both groups address shortsales and frankly, I would readily belong and participate in both. The designation of CDPE is earned by taken a concentrated training course for two days. (or can be done online). It is one of the better classes I haven taken and I have been in real estate a long time and taken lots of courses and gotten plenty of designations. Now I can't compare it to the training here as I haven't yet taken it (on the Spring "to do" list) but I would expect a similiar high level.

With some 13,000 members and growing the designation is getting some recognition. I don't want to overstate the value of a designation as I frankly think most have little value beyond the real estate community itself, but I am noticing that it is getting good press.

More so, then NAR's designation I might add :>)

Oh, and I would recommend either of these organizations and do. I think each has a separate value but together...

Rosemary Brooks said:
Just to be sure I understand. Is the main difference between CDPE Expert training and Short Sale Superstars is that one is a designation and the other is not? And if that is the case, how important is the designation in the real world?
I'm taking the course in Atlanta next week. I'm looking forward to it.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by Short Sale Superstars LLC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

********************************** like buttons ************************